|Newport History||Publications||Local History Group|
|Newport Bygones Introduction||Newport Bygones
database part 1
database part 2
|1830 List of
|Recorder's Reports 2008||Recorder's Reports 2009||Recorder's Reports 2010|
|Recorder's Reports 2011||Recorder's Reports 2012|
Click here to see the schedule of meetings for 2014
The Crown House, Bridgend
Crown House is one of many buildings of historical importance in Newport. It is also one of most frequently photographed.
The Crown House is a timber framed building which was built in the 15’th century as a small cottage. In the late 16’th century it became a large, jettied, three bay hall house and was an inn called the Kings Head. It continued in that form until around 1692 when a new owner built out the ground floor in line with the upper storey and added the elaborate pargetting and the shell hood over the door. It became known as the Crown Inn and later simply the Crown. By the time of the tithe schedule it was owned by the Smiths of Shortgrove and remained part of the estate until it was sold by the Meyers in 1917 to the Salter family. In that period it was used as an Inn, an estate house once home to Mr Trigg agent to Mr Bailey and for social activities promoted by Lady Meyer. Imogen Mollet, nee Salter the well known local historian, spent her formative years there and until her recent demise lived in the adjacent Old Forge Cottage.
Legend has it that Nell Gwynne stayed in the Crown for assignations with King Charles 11 when he stayed at nearby Audley End, but there is no foundation for this.